Did you know... The BCBC has very specific requirements regarding how to flash over windows and doors.
Section 184.108.40.206 (3)
Flashing shall be installed over exterior wall openings where the vertical distance from the bottom of the eave to the top of the trim is more than ¼ of the overhang.
Section 220.127.116.11 (4)
- Flashing shall extend not less than 50mm (2”) upward inboard of the sheathing membrane.
- Have a slope of not less than 6% toward the exterior.
- Terminate at each end with an end dam not less than 25mm (1”) and extending to the face of the cladding.
- Lap not less than 10mm (3/8”) over the building element below.
- Terminate in a drip offset not less than 5mm (3/16”) outward from the outer face of the building element below.
Also window systems must include a drip edge that prevents water from travelling inward at the underside of the sill. In the past, we have actually been called on this by building inspectors, to the point where we had to remediate product on site. To address this, we added a drip edge to our PVC flanged window systems. This is a small, but important quality item that will assist you in differentiating our products from some others.